Thursday, August 8, 2019


Loving and Learning in Lodi August 11 2019
          
            Last night, I found myself weeping and unable to stop. I was catching up on the news of the day and something inside of me broke and the tears flowed. Often, when I’m catching up on the news, the emotion I feel is anger. But my tears last night showed me that under the anger is a deep sadness. I was reminded of the passage in Romans that I sometimes quote during our prayer time in church when Paul encourages the Romans to “rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep.” Paul is wanting the Romans to flex and exercise their compassion ‘muscles.’
          For me, feeling the sadness…the heaviness of the day’s events is more difficult than being angry. Anger hardens my heart a little bit which helps me ignore or move past the pain and suffering of the people in the news. Keeping an open heart to the pain and suffering is hard…and…last night…overwhelmed…I wept.
                                                                   Weeping with those who weep…                                                                                                                                                                                       Pastor Diane

Here’s the link to the School My Sheep video. Feel free to share it with others.


Sunday, August 11, 2019
Liturgist:       Judy Foster                                                  Greeters: Larry & Irene Scott
                     Surely the Presence of the Lord                                                             #328
                     Be Still, My Soul                                         Verses 1 & 2                        #534
                     It Is Well with My Soul                               Verses 1 - 4                         #377


The Apostle Paul is writing to the church in Philippi:
          
           I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Leader:    The word of God for the people of God.                        People:    Thanks be to God.

THE CHURCH IN ACTION

United Methodist Women meet this Saturday at 9:00 a.m. in Fellowship Hall. All women of the church are welcome to attend.

Trustees meet after worship this Sunday.

Choir rehearsals begin next THURSDAY, August 15th at 7:00 p.m. Anyone who likes to sing is welcome to come and join in!!

Blessings of Backpacks and prayers for school starting, Sunday, August 18th in Worship! Children and youth bring your backpacks on August 18th!

School My Sheep 2019: This year was bigger and better than ever, and the results never cease to amaze!
By the numbers: $1760 of donations came in (and right back out)
~We put together 151 school bags, and gave away 143, as of Sunday! Last year, for those that are counting, we gave away 109.
~Items left (mouse sets, headphones, paper, pencils, and folders) will go to the proper schools. 
~We gave away 43 coats and 27 hats!
~Of the 27 totes and 10 big boxes of clothes we received, we have only 5 totes left and part of those include coats which will also be given to the schools.
~More than 120 students walked through our doors, reaching well beyond Lodi and the Cloverleaf district. We had families from Brunswick, Black River, Independence, Northwestern, Norwayne, Medina and Mogadore.
~Our entire church lent their support through donations, time, thoughts and prayers. We cannot possibly thank everyone properly. We can only hope you understand how much you were a part of School My Sheep.
     Beyond the numbers there was (and is) a powerful feeling of community and faith that ran through this church and wrapped itself around this project.
           Each time we realized we needed something, it appeared. On Tuesday, while getting ready to put the school bags together, I wished I had more college notebooks.  I ran home to grab a bite to eat and there was a bag on my porch. Inside? Thirty college notebooks! On Friday, we were sad that we didn’t have more little girl clothes. As I was leaving, a car pulled up to the door. A woman, I’d never seen, got out of the car with two little girls. They’d seen the sign and emptied their closets of clothes they could no longer wear.  As I result, we were the recipient of two huge bags of the most beautiful little girl clothes.  On Saturday, feeling a bit frazzled, a woman with two young boys approached me. “It’s been a really rough year, “she said, “and your church has helped our family so much. Is there a way I can donate next year when things get better?”  Wow. Just wow.  
           We have no idea how we touch other people, but when we do it with the spirit of Christ, it grows into something larger and more powerful than we can ever understand. God is Good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment